A Message From Brian Sommers, Our Chief Investment Officer
Recent market volatility combined with a serious and global health scare has many people feeling understandably concerned. We want to reassure you – our friends, clients, and colleagues – that we are here for you. In a market like the one we are currently experiencing, HBKS Wealth Advisors has a decisive advantage. We have experienced and survived market volatility like what we are seeing now many, many times before.
Our investment beliefs and philosophies remain consistent. Although it may be tiring to hear this mantra repeated, we remain firm in our belief that, unless something in your goals, personal situation, or time horizon has changed drastically, often the best thing to do is nothing. Our disciplined approach to investing reflects a shared set of beliefs:
- Markets are Unpredictable – History has shown it is impossible to predict prices on a systemic and long-term basis, which is why we do not believe in timing the market.
- Portfolio Structure Explains Performance – Studies have shown that the types of assets chosen for inclusion in a portfolio are responsible for most of the variability of portfolio returns.
- Risk and Return are Related – The compensation or reward for taking on increased levels of risk is the potential to earn greater returns.
- Portfolios Should be Diversified Across Many Asset Classes – The primary way to manage risk associated with specific asset classes is through diversification that takes into consideration how each asset class impacts the overall riskiness of a portfolio.
- Portfolios Should Invest Globally – Global strategies provide for greater diversification and access to a larger number of potentially attractive investments.
- Both Active and Passive Management are Effective Strategies – Studies have shown that active management adds value in certain asset classes. Where it has been shown to not add value, we use passive investments.
- Alternative Investments Can Help Manage Risk – Incorporating certain types of alternative investments—specifically, diversified alternative funds of funds—is a way to increase diversification and reduce portfolio volatility.
- Discipline is Critical – Establishing and adhering to a long term, strategic allocation through full market cycles offers the best opportunity to achieve your long-term wealth goals.
Below are some insights from leaders on our current economic environment as well as some previous, but still incredibly relevant, pieces that support our messaging to our clients in times of volatility. We understand that these are uncertain and frightening times. We want you to know that we remain vigilant and focused on the bigger picture. Financial planning with HBKS Wealth Advisors is a customized, long-term strategy with your needs, wants, and wishes in mind. We take that responsibility seriously and are here to help.