David Darwish is a principal and senior financial advisor in the HBKS® Naples and Fort Myers, Florida, offices. He has extensive experience in the areas of financial planning, retirement planning and asset allocation analysis. Along with his client responsibilities, he works on a team with Christopher Sorce, Jason Rundorff and Amanda Mahland in the Naples offices.
Dave began his financial services career with an investment services firm in Birmingham, Alabama, in the operations and discount brokerage departments. He moved to Naples, where he worked as an investment associate and later as a financial advisor with a large Wall Street firm and joined what was then HBK Sorce in 2005.
Dave earned his B.S. degree in finance from the University of Alabama in Birmingham and is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ™. He is a member of the Estate Planning Council of Naples, Inc.
Why have you stayed at HBKS® as long as you have?
When I was growing up, I thought I wanted to go to college, get a job and work for the same company for my entire career. Back then, it wasn’t unusual for people to work for one company for their whole career. But when I got out into the work world, I realized people don’t stay at jobs that long anymore. And so it happened to me. I was dedicated to my first company, even relocated to Florida for it, but ultimately it wasn’t right for me for the long term. So I moved to another firm and worked for five years, but that fit wasn’t perfect either. Then I made the move to HBKS® Wealth Advisors in 2005 and found my home. Our firm’s philosophy made sense to me; we’re process oriented and we do the right things for our clients. It was an easy transition and I knew this was the place for my clients and me for the long term.
Is there a specific accomplishment you are proud of?
Obtaining the CFP designation was one of the most important accomplishments in my 20-plus years in this business. I have never been the best test taker and I had to work extra hard. Every day I use the knowledge I gained working toward my CFP – and I’m a much better advisor for it.
What is the most fulfilling aspect about your work?
Helping clients, helping clients, helping clients. I wake up in the morning looking forward to going to work. It’s exciting for me to start the financial planning process with a client. I’m a planner by nature, but when I see that what I’ve done has helped someone reach his or her goals, it’s a great feeling.
What do you like most about the culture at HBKS®?
I’ve never worked at a place with so many tenured employees. That says a lot about this firm. We’re all dedicated to taking care of our clients – that’s the heart of our culture.
To what do you attribute the success you have experienced in your career?
I’ve learned a lot about financial services over the past 20-plus years. I started out in operations, learning the nuts and bolts, then worked on an equity-trading desk before I began advising clients in 2000. So I have a wide range of experience and a broad base of knowledge. But more importantly, I’m a firm believer in our commitment to our fiduciary duty – that is, always doing the right thing for my clients. I believe this comes across as genuine because it is. So people trust me and that allows me to do a better job helping them.
“I’m a firm believer in our commitment to our fiduciary duty – that is, always doing the right thing for my clients. I believe this comes across as genuine because it is. So people trust me and that allows me to do a better job helping them.”
Key differences between commission-based compensation and fee-based compensation in Registered Investment Advisory firms
Our Principal Group
- Christopher M. Allegretti, CPA Managing Principal and CEO
- Stephen C. Schramm, CFP®, CPA/PFS Principal, Senior Financial Advisor
- R. Dean Piccirillo, CFP®, CRPS®, AIFA® Principal, Senior Financial Advisor
- Richard C. Morrow, CPA, CFP® Principal, Senior Financial Advisor
- Gerald W. Hall, WMS Principal, Senior Financial Advisor
- Ryan Furtwangler, CFP® Principal, Senior Financial Advisor
- David Darwish, CFP® Principal, Senior Financial Advisor
- Scott Cross, CFA Principal, Chief Operating Officer
- Matthew Costigan, CFP®, CPA/PFS Principal, Senior Financial Advisor
- Quinto F. Ambrosetti, CFP® Principal, Senior Financial Advisor
- Christopher N. Sorce, CFP® Principal, Senior Financial Advisor
- Dan E. Baer, CPA, PFS Principal, Senior Financial Advisor
- James A. Arcoraci, CRPC® Principal, Senior Financial Advisor
- William F. Casey, III Principal, Senior Financial Advisor
- Augustine A. Repetto, MST, CFP® Principal, Senior Financial Advisor
- Brian Sommers, CFA Principal, Chief Investment Officer
- Gregory J. Sorce, CFP®, MSFS Principal, Senior Financial Advisor
- Steven Rinn, CFP® Principal, Senior Financial Advisor